Tuesday, April 1, 2008

St. Augustine's College

Today I spoke at St. Augustine's College. It's primarily an African American school, so I stood out a little having bright white skin and red hair :-) It's an old private college that started in 1867. I really enjoyed seeing the old buildings. I love history and find myself wondering what life would be like back then and what the people were like. My co-worker and I had the opportunity to speak in an ethics class. The students have been preparing all semester for speeches on different issues like abortion, civil disobedience, etc. The professor had us sit right in the front of the class. While I was sitting there a guy diagonally behind me started swatting at my hair! Then the girl behind me started swatting at my hair too! Turns out a bug a flown in my hair and would not get out! I hate bugs so much and hate it even more when they are in my hair! I kept my composure though through the ordeal and thanked them so much for getting it out. Most people wouldn't say anything and just watch it crawl. So I am so very thankful that they were swatting my hair :-) After that, my co-worker went up and talked about abortion and life in the womb. The professor and students really appreciated us coming in and the professor even asked us to come back on Monday for another one of his classes! So, I told him I could come as long as I brought my mother-in-law since she'll be visiting :-) The students were so nice and treated us so well! I didn't even get that nervous!
I'll also be going into Ravenscroft School (my old job) and speak to my old kids about my job and what I do with out going into great detail. I am also attend a seminar where many other pro-life organizations will be speaking and handing out information at NC State on Thursday. I was telling James yesterday how great it feels to be in a job that I can put my whole self into. A job that I can get really excited about. I am really busy with this job but am enjoying all that I'm learning and doing. I am finally able to counsel and actively use my degrees!

1 comment:

Annelise & Ethan said...

I am so glad you have found a job that you really enjoy! Good luck on next week's speech too.